Monday, February 15, 2010

Of Kinship and…

It was yet another weekday when I woke up not going office, but to a radha kalyanam or something. Ok, the sole reason of me being invited was because I would get married early. It makes me wonder if life is all about getting married. If you think only parents keep nudging about this, well, its not so. Almost every relative of yours, who gets to meet you on any family occasion questions about your wedding. Sometimes, I do want to yell back and ask them to mind their own business. But, for the fear of my mom and dad standing beside me, I just sigh and grin, not reacting much.

We had to pick up my far-away-related-something-like grandpa and grandma for this radha kalyanam. The destination where the kalyanam was taking place required almost 1.30 hours of traveling (pity me). These oldies, asked me everything about my office and personal life (this is the nth time I have answered these question). They also commented about the gulab jamun I made for them in my 8th standard and how I burnt it while cooking. I had made this gulab jamun some 10 years back and they still remember it. Blimey, I thought old people can’t remember much.

After entering the venue, I got to meet this outrageous relative of mine, who came and spoke to me. The first thing he always asked, ‘Do you still have cats at home?’. Why on earth should he be bothered. When I continued to grin and choose not to react, he jabbered about the ill effects of having a cat.

Some of the weird statements he made:

  • Cats are not pet animals. (Then what are they, wild animals, giants, something like werewolves?)

  • Cats sign bad omens. A cat should not cross your path when you go out. (I infact have a black cat at home. I get to look at him every time I go out. Now, what will he say?)

  • Cats cause breathing problems like wheezing, nausea, etc. (Are you insane??)

After an endless ranting about cats, he went on to ask me, ‘What is your name, by the way?’

So, he just remembered that I have cats at home and offered advices not even knowing my name. Like my mom tells me, the only thing that you get for free is ‘advice’.

Then, there were also those annoying souls who assume that I don’t exist and others who kept smiling at me continuously for no reason at all. Free advices continued to shower during lunch and the goodbye session.

After being surrounded by my angelic relatives for 5 hours, it was a relief to come home. I sometimes wish I could live in a world where my relatives seize to exist. Love you all my dear and near relatives (sigh)…

2 comments:

The Rain Crab said...

Every one has the same prob!!!
Let's form an anti-relatives association! ;)

Psstt... nice post!

Anusha Kumar said...

Yes..sure..

Many more ppl will be willing to join :)

Followers